"She rises while it is yet night and provides food for her household and portions for her maidens."

"She rises while it is yet night and provides food for her household and portions for her maidens."
"She rises while it is yet night and provides food for her household and portions for her maidens." - Proverbs 31:15

Thursday, April 26, 2012

Chicken Tamale Pie


As I've mentioned SO many times before, I love a meal that I can prep ahead!  My little one takes a nap in the early afternoon, so I love to be able to do meal prep while she's asleep.  It makes my life easier.  Plus, it gives me more time to play with my angel!  :)  Another thing I LOVE is cornbread!!!  My pantry is ALWAYS stocked with Jiffy!  :)  Seriously, I don't know what the deal is with me and cornbread, but its deep and its real!  I previously posted a recipe for Chicken Cornbread Dressing - which is one of my FAVORITES!  So when I found this recipe for Chicken Tamale Pie, I KNEW I had to try it!  It was something I could prep ahead (bake the chicken and make the cornbread during naptime) and its made with cornbread!  Holla! 

I changed the original recipe - quite a bit - to fit my family's taste.  And boy was it tasty!!!  :)  Just to explain HOW GOOD this was, let me tell you about my hubby.  He's a thinker.  He likes to really think about it before he gives me his opinion on a new recipe.  That drives me crazy!  I'm extremely impatient, so I hand him a plate and a fork, and as soon as he takes the first bite, I say, "What do you think???????"  He always says, "I don't know.  Let me finish my plate first and I'll tell you."  (I'm not making fun of him.  In fact, I love that he's that way.  I really know if he likes what I make because he takes time to make up his mind.)  But, anyway, back to this recipe...  Tonight, he took ONE bite and said, "This is good!"  That is SO UNUSUAL for him!  I knew I had a winner!!!  And my little one - who has been going through that "picky toddler stage" - just DEVOURED this!  I love it when a new recipe goes over this well!!!  :)


Chicken Tamale Pie:

2/3 cup milk (I used 2%)
2 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 tablespoons taco seasoning (for cornbread mix)
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1 (14 3/4 ounce) can cream-style corn
2 (8.5 ounce) boxes corn muffin mix (such as Jiffy)
1 large or 2 small onions - chopped
2 (10 ounce) cans red enchilada sauce (I used 1 mild & 1 medium, but next time I'll just use all mild) 
3 cooked chicken breasts - shredded
1 tablespoon taco seasoning (for chicken)
1 to 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese (cheddar, taco cheese, whatever you like - I used a Cheddar & Monterey Jack Mix and it was YUM!)

Instructions:
1.) Preheat oven to 400°.
2.) Combine milk, eggs, 1 1/2 tablespoons taco seasoning, chili powder, creamed corn, cornbread mixes and chopped onions in a large bowl, stirring just until moist. Pour mixture into 2 round pie plates, 2 square baking dishes, or 1 large baking dish, coated with cooking spray.
3.) Bake at 400° for 20-30 minutes. While cornbread is in the oven, toss the chicken in the 1 tablespoon taco seasoning. When cornbread is done (when a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean) pierce entire surface liberally with a fork.  Pour enchilada sauce over top. Top with chicken; sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes or until cheese melts. Remove from oven; let stand 5 minutes. Enjoy!

Note:  I baked the chicken in the morning & then let it cool.  During naptime, I made the cornbread, shredded the chicken & tossed it with the taco seasoning.  Then, when it was time for dinner, I layered the chicken, enchilada sauce, and cheese on top of the cornbread & baked it.  Yum!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment