"She rises while it is yet night and provides food for her household and portions for her maidens."

"She rises while it is yet night and provides food for her household and portions for her maidens."
"She rises while it is yet night and provides food for her household and portions for her maidens." - Proverbs 31:15

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Vietnamese Fried Rice


This is one of the first things I learned to cook.  It was a staple in our house.  My mama made it a lot because it was one of my dad's favorites.   I love how "customizable" it is!  Add whatever floats your boat!  My mama even changed up the meat in it.  Sometimes she used chicken, occasionally strips of steak, and even ground hamburger.  We weren't big seafood eaters in our house, but I bet if you love shrimp, that would be yummy too.  Today I added about 1/2 a cup of frozen peas, which is something I'd never done before.  You could also add carrots, scallions, water chestnuts, baby corn, etc.  Get creative people!  :)


First, cook your rice according to package instructions.  (Today I made 3 cups - which is 6 cups cooked.  That's quite a lot, but I plan for that to go for a few meals.)


While, the rice is cooking, chop up an onion and a green bell pepper and saute those until translucent.  Towards the end, throw in some chopped chicken.  (I used 3 chicken breasts that I had baked the day before.  That's another thing that makes this recipe easy.)


Once the veggies and chicken are finished, just throw them in a bowl to keep them warm.  Then, using the same pan, scramble some eggs.  (I used 4 eggs today because I was making so much.)


Once everything is cooked, throw it all into a giant bowl and mix thoroughly.  (At this point, I threw in about 1/2 a cup of frozen green peas.  If you throw them in right after the rice finished cooking and mix them immediately, they will cook in the rice.)


Now its time to add the soy sauce!  I LOVE soy sauce!  Seriously.  But one warning - you can always add MORE sauce, but you can never take it back, so be careful.  I usually throw in about 1/4 cup of soy sauce and mix well.  Once you have your serving in a bowl you can always add more soy sauce.)
YUM!!!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment