"She rises while it is yet night and provides food for her household and portions for her maidens."

"She rises while it is yet night and provides food for her household and portions for her maidens."
"She rises while it is yet night and provides food for her household and portions for her maidens." - Proverbs 31:15

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Mississippi Mud Cake



OH MY GOODNESS!!!!!!!!!!
Seriously, OH MY GOODNESS!!!!  This thing is SOOOO good!!! 
I had found a few different Mississippi Mud Cake recipes online, but really wasn't satisfied with any of them, so I took things from all of them and made my own recipe.  Now, this cake is not the prettiest, but WHO CARES when it tastes this good!!!  Its sort of like a cake, and a brownie, and a smore all rolled into one!
Note:  You can make the chocolate frosting a little thinner by only adding 2 cups (16oz) of powdered sugar and then you could drizzle it on top of the cake all nice and pretty.  I didn't do that.  I like my frosting a little thicker, so I added another 1/2 cup to 1 cup of powdered sugar, but then it doesn't drizzle and look all pretty.  Seriously... WHO CARES.  Its that good!  But I just wanted to add that note for anyone who wants their cake to look prettier - especially if you make this for a party or get-together.

Anyway, on to the recipe...



Mississippi Mud Cake
1 cup butter, melted (I used 1/2 cup butter and 1/2 cup margarine)
2 cups of sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
4 eggs, beaten
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 pinch of salt (approximately 1/8 tsp)
1 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 and 1/2 cups pecans, chopped (I used walnuts because that's all I had)
1 cup shredded coconut
1 (10.5oz) bag of miniature marshmallows

Chocolate Frosting:
2 to 3 cups powdered sugar (depending on how thin you want the frosting to be)
1/2 cup milk (I used 2% because that's what I had on hand)
1/4 cup butter, softened
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa

1.) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2.) Whisk together melted butter, sugar, 1/2 cup cocoa, eggs, vanilla and salt in a large bowl.
3.) Stir in flour; then stir in nuts and coconut.
4.) Pour batter into greased 15x10 inch jelly roll pan or 9x13 baking pan (I used two smaller baking dishes - both approximately 8x8 because I was planning on taking half to our small group.)
5.) Bake for approximately 25 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  (I baked my 2 cakes for exactly 30 minutes.)
6.) Remove cake from oven, sprinkle marshmallows on top evenly.  Return to oven and bake an additional 5 minutes.
7.) Remove cake from oven and drizzle frosting over warm cake.
8.) Cool completely.

Frosting Instructions:
Combine all frosting ingredients in mixer bowl and beat on medium speed until creamy.

Note: If you'd like to make this even easier, you could substitue a brownie mix for the first 7 ingredients.  Mix the brownie batter, then mix in nuts and coconut and bake for 30 minutes in 350 degree oven.  Add marshamallows and frosting just as the recipe states in steps 6 through 8.
Note 2: You can also substitute one 7oz jar of marshmallow creme for the bag of mini marshmallows.  If you do that, you don't need to bake the cake 5 minutes after adding it.  Just pull the cake out of the oven, spread with marshmallow creme, let cool a few minutes, then drizzle with frosting.

ENJOY!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment