"She rises while it is yet night and provides food for her household and portions for her maidens."

"She rises while it is yet night and provides food for her household and portions for her maidens."
"She rises while it is yet night and provides food for her household and portions for her maidens." - Proverbs 31:15

Monday, March 19, 2012

Cafe Rio Shredded Chicken

 
I found this recipe on Pinterest.  Have I mentioned how much I LOVE Pinterest!!!! Apparently, Cafe Rio is a restaurant out West.  I've never been there.  I've never had their chicken, so I can't say if this is even close to their recipe.  All I can say is YUM-MEE!!  I served this chicken on flour tortillas with "Coleslaw Bobby Flay Style".  That may sound weird, but WOW!  It was so delicious together!  The hubby doesn't like coleslaw, so he just topped his with shredded cheddar cheese and sour cream.  He also suggested that I make it again, but the next time I should make grilled onions and mushrooms to go on it.  I think that sounds wonderful too!!!  You really can't do this wrong!
If you'd like to see the website I got this recipe from, you can click HERE.

Now, on to the recipe...


(I followed her recipe almost to the letter.  The only things that I changed were the amount of chili powder and the cooking time. The chicken was pretty ready after cooking about 4.5 to 5 hours on low, but the chicken breasts I used were on the thinner side.)

Cafe Rio Chicken

2 lbs chicken breasts (I used frozen chicken breasts)
1/2 of an 8 oz bottle of zesty Italian dressing
1/2 Tbs. minced garlic
1 pkt ranch dressing mix
1/2 cup water
1 and 1/2 tsp chili powder (I only used 1 tsp)
1 and 1/2 tsp ground cumin


1.) Place chicken in the crockpot.  (I put mine in frozen - this adds a little extra moisture as it cooks that helps keep it from drying out.)
2.) In a small bowl, whisk together  ranch dressing mix and 1/2 cup of water. Next, whisk in the Italian dressing, minced garlic, chili powder, and cumin.  Pour mixture over chicken.
3.) Cook on High for 5-6 hours or on Low for 8 hours.  (I actually only cooked mine on Low for about 5 hours.)
4.) Remove chicken from crock pot and shred with a fork.  (I added a little bit of the juice to the shredded chicken to keep it moist.)

Note:  This made enough for the hubby and I to have dinner for 2 nights (and probably one lunch).  You could double or triple the recipe, take the extras and freeze them.  Then just thaw and reheat to use in tacos, burritos, salads, casseroles, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment