"She rises while it is yet night and provides food for her household and portions for her maidens."

"She rises while it is yet night and provides food for her household and portions for her maidens."
"She rises while it is yet night and provides food for her household and portions for her maidens." - Proverbs 31:15

Sunday, March 11, 2012

Red Beans and Rice

This recipe comes from a lady in my church who is, in my opinion, chef extraordinaire!  I'm posting the recipe as she makes it, but I have to admit that I omitted the celery and bell pepper - as well as the white pepper.  But, it's only because I didn't have those ingredients on hand when I spontaneously decided to make it :-)  It's really easy to make, but it does take some time to cook.  So, it fits the bill for a weekend meal at our house.

1 lb. dried red beans, or dried kidney beans
1 medium onion, chopped
3/4 cup chopped celery
3/4 cup chopped bell pepper
1/4 tsp marjoram
1/2 tsp salt, to taste
3 cloves minced garlic
1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp each: red, white, and black pepper
1 lb. smoked sausage
1 ham bone  (I ended up using a "seasoning ham bone" I had stored in the freezer for cooking with collards)


In a large pot (I used my Dutch oven) bring the dried beans to a boil in 12 cups of water and boil for 10-15 minutes.  Remove from heat, cover and soak in the water for 1 hour.  Drain off the water.  Put all ingredients - with the exception of the sausage - into the pot of beans and add enough water to cover.  Bring to a boil.  Then, turn the heat down, cover, and let simmer for 4 hours or until the gravy is thickened.  Just before the beans are ready to serve, slice the sausage into 1/2-inch pieces and brown in a frying pan.  Then, place the sausage into the pot of beans and let simmer for another hour.  Serve over rice.

Cornbread also makes a good side with this meal :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment