"She rises while it is yet night and provides food for her household and portions for her maidens."

"She rises while it is yet night and provides food for her household and portions for her maidens."
"She rises while it is yet night and provides food for her household and portions for her maidens." - Proverbs 31:15

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Lemon Chicken Tortellini

I struggled with the title of this recipe.  I mean, "Lemon Chicken Tortellini" doesn't even begin to describe its awesomeness.  I thought about naming it "A-recipe-worthy-of-Olive-Garden" or "The-reason-Taste-of-Home-is-the-best-culinary-magazine" or my favorite "This-is-why-I-don't-do-the-Atkins-Diet."  Yes, it tastes like an Olive Garden creation.  Yes, Taste of Home is an awesome magazine with some very cool recipes (I even saw one for chocolate covered bacon!!).  And yes, I am a pastaholic who will never, ever give up my carbs. However, I guess I'll just stick to the original title.  Trust me, though--it's gooooooood.

Lemon Chicken Tortellini
1 package (19 oz.) frozen cheese tortellini (I've used the dried and fresh, too)
1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch pieces
2 Tbsp butter
1/2 small sweet red pepper, julienned (we are not fans of pepper, so I omit this)
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 tsp grated lemon peel
1/2 tsp hot pepper sauce, optional (we opt out of this one, also, so I have no clue what it does to the flavor.)
1 package (6 oz) fresh baby spinach
6 Tbsp shredded Parmesan cheese


1.  Cook tortellini according to package directions.
2.  Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute chicken in butter until no longer pink.  Remove and keep warm.
In same pan, cook red pepper until crisp-tender.  Add garlic;cook 1 minute longer.
3.  Add 2 cups broth, bring to a boil.
4.  Combine flour, salt, pepper and remaining broth until smooth; gradually stir into the pan.  Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened.
5.  Stir in chicken, lemon peel and pepper sauce if desired. 
6.  Add spinach;cook just until wilted.  Drain pasta; toss with sauce.  Sprinkle with cheese.

~Ingrid

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipe, Ingrid! It looks delish! And I love your alternate titles too. I, too, love Taste of Home magazine and I also love pasta. Pasta was definitely a gift from God. :)

    ReplyDelete