"She rises while it is yet night and provides food for her household and portions for her maidens."

"She rises while it is yet night and provides food for her household and portions for her maidens."
"She rises while it is yet night and provides food for her household and portions for her maidens." - Proverbs 31:15

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Sausage Bake


This is one of my husband's FAVORITE FAVORITE FAVORITE recipes.  Did I say FAVORITE?    It really is yummy and super easy.  And, best of all, its one of those "all-in-one" recipes.  No need to make anything else - unless you'd just like to bake some biscuits to go with it.  Yum!  I found this recipe on Cooks.com.
You can change it up and try it with different types of sausage.  We've used Schwans Dinner Sausage, which is delicious.  We've also tried it with apple chicken sausage.  Try whatever sausage floats your boat.
You can also make it even easier by using baby carrots, baby potatoes, and pearl onions.  Then all you have to do is cut up the sausage and you're set!  How easy is that!!!




The first thing I did was wash, peel and chop up the potatoes.  (I used red potatoes.  They seem to bake up REALLY nicely.  You could also leave the skins on if that floats your boat.) - I used about 7 potatoes.  I like to make sure this meal goes a LONG WAY.


Then I threw in one small bag of baby carrots.  (You could also peel and slice up some regular carrots, but that's just more work.)  ;)


Next I sliced up some yellow onions.  (The recipe just calls for 1, but I usually use 2 or 3 because we LOVE onion.)


Then I chopped up the sausage into bite-sized pieces.  - I sliced each link in half and then I cut it into chunks. (I used a 14oz package of smoked sausage, but when it was cooked it didn't seem like enough.  I definitely wouldn't use anything less than a 16oz package if you - like me - are gonna throw more potatoes and onions in.)


Then came the spices.  The flavors in the Mrs. Dash and the Garlic powder are really what makes this dish sing.  :)   (The recipe also calls for salt and pepper, but since Mrs. Dash has pepper in it, I usually don't use any more pepper because the hubby says its too spicy if I use both.)


So, I threw in Garlic Powder, Mrs. Dash and salt.  (There are no measurements, so you just have to sort of wing it.  If I were to suggest, I'd probably say a tablespoon of garlic powder, a tablespoon of Mrs. Dash and a couple of teaspoons of salt.) 


I mixed everything up until it was well combined.  Isn't it pretty?  ;)


At this point, I took a couple of baking pans and covered them in foil.  (Make sure you use a lot of foil because you're gonna have to seal it into a tight package.) I sprayed the foil with cooking spray and spread the food out onto it.  (I used 2 pans because you want the food to be spread out into a single layer if its at all possible.  This will help it cook evenly.  Its a LOT of food, but we make this go for 2 dinner meals and often a lunch meal as well.)


Finally, I folded the foil over and sealed it together on the top so that it made an air-tight package.  Then I baked it in a 375 degree oven for 1 hour and 10 minutes.  (The recipe says 1 hour, but the last couple of times I made it the potatoes weren't quite cooked through.  This time they were PERFECT.)


An hour and 10 minutes later and look what yumminess!!!  Oh!  This is SOOO delicious!!!  I baked up some biscuits to go with it at the hubby's request.  That's it!  YUM!



My bowl of yumminess.  Ah!  I think I need seconds.  :)




Sausage Bake

1 lb sausage - cut into bite-sized pieces
4-5 red potaotes - peeled or unpeeled (depending on what you like - I usually peel them) & cut into bite-sized pieces
1 bag baby carrots
1 medium onion, sliced
Original Mrs. Dash - to taste
Garlic Powder - to taste
Salt & Pepper - to taste

1.) Preheat oven to 375 degrees
2.) On a cookie sheet, lay out a large piece of foil.
3.) Spray foil with cooking spray.
4.) Mix, sausage, potatoes, carrots & onions & place on foil.
5.) Sprinle with seasonings (be careful not to use too much pepper or it can get a little spicy.)
6.) Wrap foil around and seal it to make a "packet".
7.) Bake 1 hour or until potatoes are soft.  (Depending on how large your potato chunks are, you may want to let it go an hour and 15 minutes.)

Oh man!  Now I'm craving this!  And I have all the ingredients!  Oh well!  May have to scrap the Menu Plan recipe for this Tuesday night and make this instead!  :)

1 comment:

  1. Sounds great but we are going out to dinner with some friends!

    ReplyDelete